Posts for tag: thyroid issues
Do you have thyroid issues? Do you notice a sudden increase or decrease in weight? If so, you may need to contact your Mount Airy, NC, ENT for help. Thyroid problems are widespread. According to the American Thyroid Association, "more than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime," which means thyroid disease will affect millions of Americans, and more women than men. Unfortunately, some people don't even know they have any kind of condition, but by visiting your Mount Airy, NC, ENT, you can treat any thyroid problems you encounter.
More About the Thyroid:
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland at the base of your neck, below the Adam's apple. This gland secretes hormones that control metabolism, like how fast calories burn calories.
Types of Thyroid Diseases:
There are several diseases resulting from an unhealthy thyroid. Here are just a few:
- Thyroid nodules: A lump in the thyroid that's sometimes solid or fluid-filled, but usually require treatment unless they're larger cancerous nodes. Treatment includes surgery or medicine.
- Hypothyroidism: This condition is a result of low thyroid hormone production, which results in symptoms such as fatigue, cold sensitivity, constipation, dry skin, and unexplained weight gain, and needs hormone replacement treatment.
- Hyperthyroidism: This is the overproduction of thyroid hormone production, which results in weight loss, irregular heartbeat, and sweating. Treatments include: radioactive iodine, medications, and surgery.
- Goiter: This is an abnormal enlargement of the thyroid, which may be treated by surgery
- Thyroiditis: This is the inflammation of the thyroid that causes leakage of thyroid hormones and results in hyperthyroidism, and eventually hypothyroidism.
- Thyroid cancer: Cancer appears as a lump and treatments include surgery, hormone therapy, radioactive iodine, radiation, and chemotherapy.
If you have any questions or concerns about thyroid issues, then you need to contact your Mount Airy, NC, ENT, at (336) 673-3125 today! Problems may be simple, but if not properly diagnosed or left untreated, they may result in serious complications.